As a business owner you need to do everything within your power to make your customers sure
that the transactions on your website or business are secure. Usually customers can’t choose their
payment Gateway, so it’s up to facilitate this situation and give them the best option.
The average consumer doesn’t even think about how the process works and where that takes
place when he/she makes a purchase. It is also important to understand that during the payment
process there are other entities involved like: credit cards brands, acquirers, and issuing banks or
That’s why it is crucial to understand and have the whole process under control and reduce the
risk at every point posible, keeping your personal information and data safe from any problems
like fraud. There are differents methods of secure credit cards such as:
· EMV: also known as a chip card or a smart card, this has become one of the global
standards for credit and debit cards that are based on microchip technology that was
developed by Europay, MasterCard and Visa to enable acceptance of secure payment
· PCI (PAYMENT CARD INDUSTRY) DATA SECURITY STANDARDS: by creating a certain
regulatory framework that establish a global standard in which way use, keep and store all
the credit card information.
· TOKENIZATION: This takes the important and sensitive data and replaces it with
random characters linked to the original information that only the authorized party can
· SSL PROTOCOL: Protects the data when this travels from a card reader to the
destination where the processor confirms the transaction.
· BIOMETRICS: This one relies on biological identification measures that are unique to a
particular individual like their fingerprint, iris or retina scanning or facial imaging. Usually
this method is not specifically for payment methods
As a business owner it’s important to be informed and be awarened about all the new security
methods approved worldwide to avoid legal problems or fraud that can damage your business.